Friday, August 11, 2006

Ok, so we're back on the roads...

I spent a hot Maki morning on my bike, touring the back streets with my surpervisor, Mr. Tanabe. Thankfully, the actual riding experience is getting a bit better. Except for an obaachan (little old lady) I almost ran over...

Our task was tri-fold; the first being a trip to Maki Higashi (East) JHS:













Pretty good action shot of my guide, right? I didn't even fall off the bike while taking the shot! The ride to Maki Higashi is completely flat, unlike Maki Nishi which boasts some of the steepest climbs in Maki (extreme exaggeration), not exactly the same as the Rocky Mountains, but some that may prove challenging during the colder months when the ice settles.

We were at the school for about 20 minutes or so where I was introduced to the vice-principal (Kyoutou sensei), some random staff, and Suzuki sensei, an English teacher I will be working with in September. At first I was quite shocked to be addressed by her in English, but my abilities to use the language came back like flood water -- thank the Heavens... Almost fit myself in a limbo suit for a moment there.

Maki Higashi differs from Maki Nishi layout-wise in that it boasts a giant cathedral ceiling auditorium in the front of the school with large windows that provide a huge amount of natural light in the early morning hours. From the second floor, I was able to see the field outside where a group of boys were practicing field hockey (or 'Hokkeh Guroundo' as Mr. Tanabe put it) while the brass band provided mood music on the inside. I was pleasantly surprised at their abilities to bring such energy and skill to the instruments at such young ages -- kudos to the lot!

Back in the teacher's area I sipped tea with Mr. Tanabe and Kyoutou sensei (which was not the man's name, but his title of 'vice-principal' as mentioned above). In many office-type settings such as these, people are referred to by title rather than name. I suppose it makes things easier for an ALT who is charged with remembering huge amounts of names when they first reach the host prefectures. If it's possible to identify the principal, vice-principal, etc. then remember the appropriate titles, you should be golden.

We spent some time discussing the high levels of humidity in the region; both men suggesting that the summer torture had reached it's peak, destined to break soon. I was then asked how NY faired in comparison to which I mentioned the recent heat wave that you folks have been experiencing (as per AOL weather). They immediately dispensed with the pleasantries and got down to business -- will this new foreigner be allowed to drive to school when the weather does a 180 later on in the year...

This drew the traditional 'sucked in air' response, which did not bode well for my cause. I sat there, smiled, and contemplated complimenting Kyoutou sensei on the tea -- a very refreshing genmai cha but thought better of it... There was no actual resolution to the question, but I did get the opportunity to see my future desk, adorned with welcome notes and files from my predecessor. It felt like a treasure hunt, actually, as I found a note from Melissa detailing the contents of the folders I would find within the desk. Apparently, this signified the end of our meeting.

We said our thanks and headed off to leg #2 of the mornings' journey -- the Panya (bakery). There is not one local to my area of Maki, so this was going to be a treat. And after another trek through rice paddies, we reached a small bakery with some truly wonderful goodies, such as anpan, kareepan, melon pan, and even some in the shape of Doraemon! As we left the sweet smelling shop, I made a mental note to come back and pick up a few things. I didn't want to embarrass my self by buying the store on my first visit.

The final leg involved more of a cultural tour of Maki -- earlier on I had asked Mr. Tanabe if there was a local shrine that I might visit some day. He quickly announced that he would take me to see one of the oldest shrines in Maki after the visit to MH. True to his word, we went straight from the panya to Maki Jinja (pictures coming later), a beautiful old three story structure smack dab in the middle of some bland looking buildings. After a few moments of opened mouth staring, we crossed over from concrete to perfectly manicured gravel pathways which led up to the classic looking structure. At the top of the steps we offered 10 yen, bowed twice, clapped twice, then repeated...

It was very special for me to share in this ritual with Mr. Tanabe -- during my first visit I was left to my own devices on most occasions, so I felt quite fortunate to have had this type of experience with someone leading the way this time around rather than using a guidebook.

No offense to those at Lonely Planet, of course...

And all of this before 10 AM. I've got tomorrow off but plans on Sunday to go into Niigata for an acoustic guitar search. Two folks from the B.O.E. have been nice enough to offer to take me on my first tour of the city. It'll be a nice precursor to the Prefectural Orientation which will also be held in Niigata on the following morning -- lights out at 11 PM! Ah, dorm life...

Keep surfing!
Brendan

No comments: