Thursday, August 03, 2006

Hajimemashite...

Hi everyone -

Well, the Tokyo Orientation finished up on Tuesday night, and we shipped off to our Host Prefectures the following morning, bright and early. Here's a pic of some other folks that are heading to Niigata along with yours truly:



$20 for the best caption to replace the sign over my head (hint: I HATE suits)

The folks at the T.O. were all very friendly, each one eager to establish a supportive alliance in the hopes that strangers might become long awaited friends. (much thanks to Neil Peart).

I spent a lot of time over the past few days by myself just watching the people around me, observing their reactions to speeches, wondering how they were going to approach this new stage of life. It was nice to take a step back and let the experience sink in a bit deeper.

You might have called me an elder statesman at the Orientation as 98% of those attending were between the ages of 21 and 24. But truthfully, I didn't see it as a disadvantage -- for me, it has worked out perfectly (so far). I am so thankful for the working experience I had in New York and all the people who answered questions and told stories along the way. I've really drawn on a lot of those experiences to help navigate through my first days in Maki with my new coworkers and superiors.

Who cares if I can't handle all night drinking binges anymore like the whelps in Tokyo who then had to wake up for days filled with lectures...

Natsukashii.... (^ ^)

But once the T.O. wrapped up, the shift in energy was glaringly apparent. It was interesting to see how everone's body language changed as soon as we left the lush life offered in Tokyo and entered less densely populated areas. After almost a year of preparing for such a monumental change, one never quite knows how they might react right before the doors finally open. When the train stops and your station name is called, it’s like another birth, because you are the newborn preparing to be thrust into a brand new world; in most cases, something far beyond the limits of the imagination.

Me? I was amazingly fortunate...

I was greeted by four smiling people with a giant sign bearing my name. The first was an English teacher from Maki Nishi (west), Mr. Onozuka, with whom I will be working (he was a very important person for the people at the B.O.E. that day). Then there was Ms. Maruyama, a kindly lady in charge of the basics like utilities in my apartment and various paperwork. Next was Mr. Tanabe, my supervisor, who drove me around Maki many times throughout the day in several different cars. He was quite helpful, pointing out supermarkets and other local stores. Finally, there was Mr. Hiroki, the big boss at the B.O.E., who presented me with my working certificate later on that day.

The look of glee on their faces when I complemented the artistry it must have taken to create such a sign was intoxicating. It was at that moment that I became truly excited about this adventure.

We weaved in and out of the tiny streets of Maki on the way to my introductory meeting -- I marveled at Mr. Tanabe's catlike reflexes as obstacles seemed to fly out of nowhere, leaving little room for error. The beads of sweat on my forehead may or may not have been caused by the foreshadowing of my maiden voyage behind the wheel. But Japan's infamous humidity may have had something to do with it as well.

Note to self: Find a good dry cleaner.

Did I already say that I hate suits?

After a pleasant bento lunch, I went through some formalities with the folks who then took me to my new apartment to inspect the utilities. I was pleasantly surprised at the great condition and size of the place -- there were several horror stories told about former JETs who lived in shoebox style apartments. Everything checked out, but I still can't read the directions on the washing machine. I will also be visiting the local convenience store a great deal. This is because the gas company worker who was at the apartment informed us of several precautions I needed to follow before using the range. I had no clue... At least the people around me will know WHY I blew up if I try to boil some water. Not to worry though. I will be consulting an outside source prior to using the stuff.

After a return trip to the B.O.E., Mr. Tanabe dropped me off and I spent the better part of the evening trying to sort through all of the $*#) I brought from the States. It was obvious from the get go that I would need to send stuff back... But rather than worry about it too much, I settled down with an ice pack on my chest and fell soundly asleep. I woke up two hours before my alarm was to go off and messed around with the computer, trying to find a hotspot for my wireless connection -- thankfully, I succeeded... Since I had no idea how long my 'poaching' priveledges would last, I churned out a few quick e-mails and then got ready for work. Summer vacation has me going from 8:30 to 12 everyday. I could get used to such a schedule (^ ^).

So I just finished my first full (half) day at Maki's Board of Education office where I was introduced to about 150 people. This is the first English I have used in the past 2 days, so please excuse any grammatical or speeellling errors.

The apartment has really turned out to be great, and big from a Japanese perspective with three rooms, measuring about the same size (approximately 6 Jo).

Here's the bedroom:


I've been having some issues uploading multiple pictures to a single post, so the next one will have more shots of the apartment. Something to look forward to, right?

Anyway, the B.O.E. is hosting a welcome party for me tonight so I better carb up. I believe the question my supervisor Mr. Tanabe posed to me was, "Can you drink Sake?"

I replied pleasantly, "Yes, in small amounts."


Keep surfing!

Brendan

1 comment:

russellds said...

Here is the caption for your photo:

"I am not sure which makes me look more gay, the suit or my goatee?"