Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Boys of Summer

Hi everyone,

Throughout Japan there is an excitement in the air stirred up by the National High School Baseball Championship (or zenkoku koutou gakkou yakyuu senshuken taikai -- Ok, Americans! Say that 10 times fast!). This annual event captures the nation's attention, offering a brief reprieve from the infamous summer heat and humidity which normally has folks clamouring for shade or a spot directly under their ACs.

Fortunately, my TV is located in said spot so I have been able to enjoy the games in a nice cool room. I've been lending my support to Waseda Jitsugyo as one of its former players provided me with a very special autograph; Sadaharu Oh (thanks, Dad).

As I write this, another game which featured Teikyo and Waseda high schools has just ended. Teikyo high school's squad is standing behind the lines with mud on their uniforms and tears in their eyes. They are bravely watching their competition, Wakayama, run wildly across the field towards the home fans, sceaming jubilantly because of an almost insurmountable run deficit they were somehow able to make up.

I feel like I can relate to the pain these Teikyo kids are feeling only because the Mets have gotten smacked around a heck of a lot recently... The orange and blue are not exactly in the basement, but any true fan has to be a bit concerned with Petey going on the DL and bench guys in the outfield.

So let's focus on what's here and now (^ ^)

At school today, where most teachers are on vacation because of Obon, I met a few of Maki Nishi's fly shaggers; three kids, bronze because of long hours in the sun, were lounging in the genkan (entrance) of the school after a rigorous 3 hour practice. They pepped up immediately as I walked down the stairs, blushing because of what was, potentially, an on the spot 'English conversation' quiz. I noted their angst and tried not to throw them any curveballs (ha ha ha....sorry).

To my pleasant surprise, the blushes turned to beaming smiles as they were somehow able to converse with this immensely pale foreigner, with minimal mistakes. The absolute best was when the pitcher introduced himself and his catcher as, "The Battery!" Big smiles and laughter ensued.

So I will visit a shrine soon with best wishes in my heart for those young chaps and their dreams of one day entering the tournament, representing Niigata.

But as my Mets are struggling (and I'm not there to cheer them on), I'll lend my support to the other gents who don the orange and blue: Niigata's J League (soccer) representatives, The Niigata Albirex!

Here's a shot of their stadium, which is nicknamed, "The Swan":



The two folks in the shot are Naomi and Tsuyoshi from the B.O.E. who were kind (and patient) enough to act as tour guides in my adoptive home. We visited Niigata on Sunday and strolled around the shop-filled streets of the Furumachi district and traversed Bandai Bridge over the Shinano River. This city reminds me so much of Boston and the Charles River.

Sorry for the limited amount of pics recently. For some reason they don't want to upload as much as in the past. I'll try to figure it out and add some city shots soon.

Unfortunately there's a pretty big lightning storm at the moment, so I'll have to finish this at another time.

Keep surfing!
Brendan

No comments: