Thursday, August 24, 2006

It's Official, Folks...I'm an Alien

Hi all -

I was planning on posting a picture of my new Alien Registration (Gaijin Card) Card for all to marvel at, but unfortunately can't get my new scanner to work (> <). Oh, well...

And so it begins! After one month of adjusting to my new life here in Maki, I've finally started to see students. Most recently I've been visiting Maki Higashi (East) Chu where the kids are preparing for the annual Sports Day. The anticipation for the competitions can be felt throughout the town as school kids prepare large banners in support of their team's colors. Each school has a blue, red, and yellow team; I have been assigned to Maki Nishi's yellow team and Maki Higashi's blue team -- what this actually entails concerning my participation is news to me at the moment.

Here is a picture of some of the kids working on the red team's banner:

I decided to split the day in half so I can visit both schools during the competition -- can't play favorites, of course...

JET's lure, depending on how you look at it, is a kind of 'rock star' status for the successful candidate. Up until this week, the benefits of this have been up to interpretation. On several occasions folks have stared at me with jaws agape (yeah, I wrote 'agape'), crossed to the other side of the street to avoid me, and walked/ran away if I ask for help at the train station -- all before 9 this morning!! Just kidding...

But many of these experiences (if not all) have been with older folks who may have never seen a pasty fellow such as myself roaming their chartered streets. At first I decided to buy a lot of food all at once and hibernate, but eventually realized that the stares would continue if I took the weenie route. It was all the more easy to forget those feelings of social awkwardness as soon as I received my first wave and group 'Hi!' from the kids at school, and will no doubt sustain me at least through my next Shimizu experience -- although the folks at Challenger have seriously low prices and a very accommodating staff...but I digress.

This brings me to MHC and the smiling kids who usher music and youthful exuberance through its halls. During my first full (half) day at MHC, I was actually able to do a bit of spot teaching/editing. While many of the kids were at school doing prep for Sports Day, two 3nensei English Club members were taking time out to write thank-you letters to some ALTs whom they had met while attending a recent English Language Camp. It is customary for students to visit the office (which is -- thank God -- ACd!) to seek out advice/extra help from teachers when necessary. Students come to the door, sign their names, write the time, and wait for the next available slot. When appropriate, they would enter the room, announcing their presence with a big 'shitsurei shimasu!' (pardon the interruption) and approach the teacher they wanted to see.

Ms. Kuwabara, whose conversational English skills were the Tylenol for the Japanese language headache I've been stricken with, was there to help the kids out. However, as soon as they produced the letters for editing, she defaulted to my curiosity and pointed the way to my desk. I felt so official! If only Paul Sheehey could see me now...(BG, did I get the spelling right on that one?)

Mere mention of the camp the kids had visited sends tingles through the spines of ALTs who have been "asked" to attend as soon as they reach their host prefectures after Tokyo Orientation -- never seeing their apartments. But the smiles on the kids' faces would surely act as the handkerchief to wipe away sleep dust from jetlagged eyes. The girls took a few moments to describe the camp, sounding very satisfied with the experience.

It had been quite a while since I had done any actual teaching, so I was glad for the opportunity. Do you think Barry Bonds would have been able to hit so many homeruns without hours and hours of hard wo... Wait, scratch that...

So after a few suggestions and words of encouragement they walked away smiling, bowing their thanks, while I was completely happy in finally getting a chance to do some work.

In an effort to continue the 'teaching high' I took to the halls and decided to "Share" a bit of myself (pun intended, chortle, chortle) on the English language board which was set up by my predecessor, Melissa. She had posted a picture of me and one of my students from JALC up on the wall opposite the auditorium. Thankfully I had thrown a few photos into my back pack which ended up coming in quite handy (pictures to follow).

All in all it has been a fun week, especially since I was able to sneak out of the office and mingle in the halls. When it was time to go, I was approached at the teachers exit by a group of giggling students who gave me another big, "Hello!" After the delivery, one of the girls stepped up to the front and, in her best speech contest English exclaimed, "You are handsome!"

The immediate blush that had lost me several games of poker in the past provided the kids with a big laugh. As I waved off the sentiment and proclaimed my obvious dopey looks in Japanese, they laughed again and began informing me of there status as members of the school band. My immediate interest caused more giggles, so I interviewed each, asking for their grade and what instrument they had mastered, then listened intently to their answers. They all seemed to be as happy answering my questions as I was asking them. THIS was the type of interaction that I had been greatly anticipating before arriving in Japan. Chalk up another success.

Before riding off on my bike, I applauded their abilities in English and promised to cheer very loudly during Sports Day. In turn, they promised to do their best -- I thought to myself that it was time to do some shopping.

Keep surfing!
Brendan

P.S. All the kids are great, but gotta support the team! Let's go BLUE!:

No comments: